As my wife and I watch the HBO series Game of Thrones, we are taught lessons every episode, for example, a Lannister always pays his debts. But, the last episode we watched gave a very important life lesson on infection prevention.
For those who don’t watch the show, here’s a quick summary (SPOILER ALERT)
A very, physically strong character, Khal Drogo, is cut deeply in his chest with a small sword, clearly not disinfected before the fight, and while the sword is against his chest he leans into it, also not recommended. After an attempt to clean the wound, by a woman who did not wash her hands, the infection killed him.
It does not matter how physically strong you are, the bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc. that can colonize and attack our body doesn’t care. If we do not act quickly, with the proper procedures, and our immune system is not in tip-top condition, those little bugs can do serious harm.
What Should We Do?
- If you are ever cut, clean and protect the wound ASAP. Our body has fewer defenses again germs entering our bloodstream directly
- If you have been exposed to harmful germs, whether via a sword fight or a sick coworker, do everything you can to help your immune system fight off the infection
How Can We Strengthen Our Immune System?
- Get plenty of rest
- Eat immunity boosting foods
- Try to reduce stress
- Engage in many forms of wellness, like chiropractic care, etc.
- Add physical fitness to your regular routine
- If you are infected, avoid physical contact with others and sanitize your hands often
Got a question, want to add to the conversation, or have you learned any other life lessons from Game of Thrones that you wish to share…please add to the comments below.